DACXP+ balance control

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
zippy
Addicted
Addicted

DACXP+ balance control

Postby zippy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 am

Posted the following on the official Cyrus tech forum but had no replies.
Anyone on C.U. like to have a go ??

--------------
As my right ear deteriorates in hearing, I find myself using the balance control more to equalise the sound L/R.
I would like to understand the technicalities of how the balance control works, for example:

– It appears to me that as I move the balance 1 or 2 notches to the right, the balance hardly changes, but from 3-4 and 4-5 the balance changes quite a lot. Is this my ears deceiving me or are the 5 steps deliberately different ?

– It also seems to be that the more I shift the balance to the right, the lower the total output volume. Again is that right, or is it just me ?

thanks……
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: DACXP+ balance control

Postby mickbald » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Mine does as you describe - haven't a clue why it works like that. I've never tried it before, always leave it in the middle.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm

I was going to provide a link to some info on a balance control using conventional resistors and log/antilog pots but it gets into techspeak and it also points out that much of todays equipment uses software to control volume and balance.
I dont have a DACXP and its impossible to comment unless one has a circuit diagram but I suspect Cyrus will be using software.
Its a pity no one at Cyrus would take the two minutes to respond to your question on their official Tech Forum

Speaks Volumes, In or Out of Balance
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 am

One the many reasons that I’m slowly moving away from Cyrus is the perceived lack of care for the traditional Cyrus fan base. They seem to be losing direction and concentrating on the entry level market. Not responding to this particular customer issue is an example of this lack of care.
Source:Aries G1,PS Audio NPC Phono
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black,OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
DAC:Chord Qutest,Chord Mojo/Poly
Amplifier:Bryston BP17Cubed/4B3
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:B&W C5v2,OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature spk.
Atlas Mavros XLR x2,Atlas Mavros Ultra,Chord Indigo Plus XLR,DIGITAL Atlas Mavros Ultra x2,Atlas USB.Chord Optichord

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 am

I guess I could have emailed Cyrus direct, but to my mind the big advantage of an open forum is that other people can see the answer.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2