Cyrus Pre X

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Simon
Five+

Cyrus Pre X

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 pm

The Pre X, is it super old? Haven't been able to find info on it and where it fits in the chronology. Anyone can give some input about its sound quality and if there any special issues to look out for?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Cyrus Pre X

Postby callen24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 am

cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks, though that post seems to refer to the Xvs. I havent followed the different Cyrus upgrades etc during the last years unfortunately.
The aCA.7 came in 1999. I suppose it is an improved Pre X??
Cyrus website's archive isnt so informatove now.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 am

According to the vs series supplemental manual (which I found on HIFI Engine --> https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... re-x.shtml) it says the Pre Xvs is an update of the Pre X with a new amplifier design. The old Cyrusunofficial included this post --> https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/cu_arch/view ... hp?t=20425 which suggests the Pre X was introduced in 2003.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 pm

i suspect that if the volume goes up and down it will be fine, and a good bargain if you get one cheaply to match with something like a smartpower.
i believe it is more than an improve 7.5, the vs version was a developed version of pre x
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks Julianh! 2003 is quite recent to my mind.:) I thought that since the Pre X doesn't have any screen I thought it might be older.

I use a hand built tube preamplifier now (I accidentally killed my old Creek amp) but since I connect and disconnect a lot when I try different speakers I should get a good transistor pre. Tube amps often send out a nasty signal when you switch connections that can kill transistor amps and speakers. My tube amp is also very sensitive for picking up noise. I think/hope that the Pre X is still seen as an up to date design even if there are upgrades since then; the Xvs and Pre XPd I think(?)

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Callen, do you mean there are sometimes issue with the volume control?

I will probably have to buy "untested" over ebay or similar. Not easy to find Cyrus gear second hand here in Stockholm.

"good bargain if you get one cheaply to match with something like a smartpower."

Exactly, it seems preamps are getting down in value when they dont have DACs or something else built in. So now even paupers like me can get into the Cyrus line.
I plan initially use it with soundcard and Hypex Ucd700 for bass and Cyrus amp for the upper register.

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

PS, about price. I am thinking that if I can get my hands on a Pre X or Pre Xvs below say EUR 250 its fine. Anyone can comment on that?
And I suppose then at aPA is going for even less.

mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Simon wrote:Callen, do you mean there are sometimes issue with the volume control?

I ~think~ callen may be referring to the original Pre. From memory this was the only Cyrus amplifier with a motorised volume control, and it can cause problems. I ~think~ that all of the subsequent versions adopted the "gain cell" technique, which has no moving parts other than an up/down switch and so should be much more reliable.

IIRC the early preamp chronological order was Pre > aCA7.5 > Pre X > PreXvs

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Simon wrote:Callen, do you mean there are sometimes issue with the volume control?

I will probably have to buy "untested" over ebay or similar. Not easy to find Cyrus gear second hand here in Stockholm.

"good bargain if you get one cheaply to match with something like a smartpower."

Exactly, it seems preamps are getting down in value when they dont have DACs or something else built in. So now even paupers like me can get into the Cyrus line.
I plan initially use it with soundcard and Hypex Ucd700 for bass and Cyrus amp for the upper register.

the naim supernait 2 integrated amp sounds much better than the naim sn1 which has a dac in it . i am sure you will find a nice cyrus pre amp which sounds fine , dacs are very good vfm now if you buy one separately

although i welcome you to cyrus ownership , would it not make more sense to get something more available in stockholm
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 pm

i think mojo has corrected me in his post above.

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 am

Callen, Mojo, ok, so it is the Pre that had a motorised control. Good to know.

Simon
Five+

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:56 am

hifinutt,

"the naim supernait 2 integrated amp sounds much better than the naim sn1 which has a dac in it . i am sure you will find a nice cyrus pre amp which sounds fine , dacs are very good vfm now if you buy one separately

although i welcome you to cyrus ownership , would it not make more sense to get something more available in stockholm "

Thanks. About the naim, thats another argument for separates then.
It is something with the cleanness of separates. And it gives the best, smoothest upgrading curve.:) And cyrus seems to generally age very well.

Availability, I think its more a general issue. The second hand market in the UK seems just exceptional. There is actually a vendor that offers Cyrus in Stockholm and that has repair service. But good used gear is far between. it seems the integrated models have been the big sellers up here.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:49 pm

thanks for that simon, there are some super integrated amps around but i guess pre power allows you to play more
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns