I/C MFA baby classic - Black  [SOLD]

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

I/C MFA baby classic - Black  [SOLD]

Postby callen24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I am considering selling this, just want to check if there is interest?

This is v2 transformer
it is branded stevens and billington - the MFA parent company
it comes with a basic box
it has two inputs and two out puts - one is XLR ,the other RCA.
Black dial

If you need two RCA inputs, this is not a problem - i will include adaptors, which i use.

I am in 2 minds, but financial situation means I need to sell, but happy to wait for a fair price.
I plan to run my DAC directly into AMP INSTEAD

I had a mk1 classic before, and this clearly sounded better
PM for more info, or visit for a demo
Last edited by callen24 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Re: I/C MFA baby classic - Black

Postby julianh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

How much are you looking for for this?
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:53 pm

julianh wrote:How much are you looking for for this?

PM ME with what you think is the going price?
surely you are happy with your freya?
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:58 pm

The Freya is very good but I did notice a drop in the low end performance when I moved from my previous MFA to it. It’s always good to have an alternative on hand. :D I haven’t any idea what your pre-amp might be worth hence I asked what you were looking for. However I’ll give some thought as to a possible value and may PM you later.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm

julianh wrote:The Freya is very good but I did notice a drop in the low end performance when I moved from my previous MFA to it. It’s always good to have an alternative on hand. :D I haven’t any idea what your pre-amp might be worth hence I asked what you were looking for. However I’ll give some thought as to a possible value and may PM you later.

i ask in case you want to consider freya plus cash for MFA?

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:42 pm

just a query callen , i thought the baby classic had the same transformer as the classic , just with less inputs etc .

from the mfa site

The Baby Classic pre amplifier is based on the award winning and much loved Classic pre amplifier. The Baby Classic pre amp is a 2 input 2 output device with the usual Music First Audio options of either RCA or balanced inputs and outputs. A 24 position volume switch and 3 position ground lift switch.
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pm

hifinutt wrote:just a query callen , i thought the baby classic had the same transformer as the classic , just with less inputs etc .

from the mfa site

The Baby Classic pre amplifier is based on the award winning and much loved Classic pre amplifier. The Baby Classic pre amp is a 2 input 2 output device with the usual Music First Audio options of either RCA or balanced inputs and outputs. A 24 position volume switch and 3 position ground lift switch.

it is, but not the original, the current v2, which they just call the classic
they keep a record and can let you know what transformer is inside your mfa
the original, as far as I know, is identiitical to current version except for a developed , and larger coil. ie inputs etc, structure remain the same

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:39 pm

thanks callen , incidentally having had 6 mfa passive i am listening to the freya passive for past few weeks [ previously used valve option on freya ] and it does not dissapoint . would love to compare the 2 in a system one day

Had the v2 copper classic about 4 years ago and it was super and this little mfa baby would be super for someone .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:58 am

This is very similar to mine except I only have a single XLR input but with a 31 step volume control.

Very highly recommended with Cyrus or Belcanto Dacs matched with Cyrus power amps.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am

angelface wrote:This is very similar to mine except I only have a single XLR input but with a 31 step volume control.

Very highly recommended with Cyrus or Belcanto Dacs matched with Cyrus power amps.

It is amazing, im only considering selling because I will need the money, I am unlikely to work again because of a neurological condition

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 am

oh my gosh callen , so sorry to hear about that . best put a price on the mfa if you want to sell i suggest
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:17 pm

hifinutt wrote:oh my gosh callen , so sorry to hear about that . best put a price on the mfa if you want to sell i suggest

i’m not rushing.
anyone who PMs me can know a price, particularly if we have traded before
but i guess they will do their research and offer me £100 less than the going price.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:10 pm

by the way , have you tried running the dac straight into the amps direct ? how did you find the sound ?
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:50 pm

hifinutt wrote:by the way , have you tried running the dac straight into the amps direct ? how did you find the sound ?

missing the magic

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am

this 8s over priced
mine does not have chrome dial.
i’m not sure whether “the latest v2” transformers mean, maybe it means the larger ones