What vinyl did you spin recently?

Pop, Rock, Jazz, Plinque, whatever ....
mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: What vinyl did you spin recently?

Postby mickbald » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Bring some records you really know tomorrow - you have a task helping me with speaker location.

Over the years we have known each other I know you have the "ear" so we can try some tweeking.

So game on.

I will have the Moth and ultrasonic cleaners in operation.

Looking forward to seeing you and John.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Had a good afternoon today - thanks very much Mick.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 pm

Great afternoon with you and Chris @callen24.

Interesting playing with the 2 record cleaners (Moth and ultrasonic) and seeing the amount of crap coming off even new vinyl.

Failed again to convert you to Leonard Cohen. Next time!

The quality of the Foreigner charity shop record after a ultrasonic clean was really good.

Great afternoon, listening and great chat.

Chris, Jan loves the Cohen album you gave her - we played it through a couple of times and it's definitely a keeper.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Having listened to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours on Mick's excellent system yesterday I decided to play the preceeding eponymous album (which I received on white vinyl back in the day as a birthday present).

It's got all of the hallmarks of the classic line-up with all five band members making stong characteristic contributions. Monday Morning (side 1 track 1) is a slightly weak start with wobbly vocals in my opinion. After that the album warms up quicky and really gets going with Stevie Nicks' Rhiannon (side 1, track 4) followed by Christine McVie's brilliant Over My Head. The first side concludes with the fantastic Crystal which is revived from the pre-F.Mac album Buckingham Nicks. Side two has five strong tracks, particularly stand out for me are Say You Love Me (McVie) and Landslide (Nicks).

I find Fleetwood Mac is a great way to enjoy this line-up through a slightly less familiar collection of songs compared with Rumours, Tusk, etc.
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
X Arbour

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Not vinyl, but links to the previous post, I just bought the original Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and the follow-up Mr. Wonderful - both on cd. What great albums!
ARC cd5>Fractal f1 rca>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>Townshend Fractal f1 rca>PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Poweramps (mono)>Isolda>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>Coax spdif>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>Townshend F1 fractal>PL Dialogue Pre etc. .

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Yes, I have some of the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac albums (also on CD) and some Peter Green solo albums (on vinyl) which I greatly enjoy.
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
X Arbour

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:43 pm

My wife and I share very similar music tastes. When we met 12 years ago we were surprised how much are respective LP and CD collections, built up entirely separately over the previous almost 40 years, had so many commonalities and connections.

However one area about which we widely differ is jazz. She hates jazz and whenever she hears badly played music she always refers to Joe Bennett's book Mustn't Grumble in which it is said the musician must be either incompetent or playing jazz. I, on the other hand, love what little jazz I know and would love to learn more to expand my solitary enjoyment.

Today I have the house to myself and so I'm in my own personal jazz club (nice).

I've had Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue on CD for years, but I couldn't resist the £5 vinyl bargain when this was released by DeAgostini as the first in the jazz collection a couple of years ago.
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
X Arbour

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:46 pm

There's some great Peter Green stuff on Fleetwood Mac's first Greatest Hits record:
https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-F ... ter/119892

I also really love the first two albums with Buckingham and Nicks. They've received some stellar AAA remasters too.
This pressing is probably the best sounding record I own: https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-R ... se/2832092
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:44 pm

I've been listening to the I Am The Eggpod podcast which is a series of discussions about The Beatles albums and solo albums made by the former Beatles.

I recently played the podcast episode about the John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band album in which the opinion is expressed the best John Lennon album is in fact none of the original albums, but is the first posthumous compilation: The John Lennon Collection so that's what I played today, except for Merry Xmas (War Is Over) which is conveniently the last track on side one. Released in 1982 (when I bought my copy). I believe the front and back sleeve photographs were taken shortly before JL left the studio to go home on the day of his murder, RIP.
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
X Arbour

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:36 pm

I have been playing the Analogue Productions UHQR release of Jimi Hendrix' Axis Bold as Love (stereo version). You can believe the hype, it's probably the best sounding record I own. Incredibly low noise floor and separation. Like listening to the master tapes (I imagine!).

I reserved it over two years ago at a great price and gave up hope of ever seeing it but I actually got both the mono and stereo. I daren't open the mono as it's already worth 4x the price!

Their next release is Jethro Tull's Aqualung so get in early if you like that sort of thing. You won't be disappointed.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 pm

argustimewas wrote:I've been listening to the I Am The Eggpod podcast which is a series of discussions about The Beatles albums and solo albums made by the former Beatles.

I recently played the podcast episode about the John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band album in which the opinion is expressed the best John Lennon album is in fact none of the original albums, but is the first posthumous compilation: The John Lennon Collection so that's what I played today, except for Merry Xmas (War Is Over) which is conveniently the last track on side one. Released in 1982 (when I bought my copy). I believe the front and back sleeve photographs were taken shortly before JL left the studio to go home on the day of his murder, RIP.

why didn’t you listen tonwar is over?
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Not feeling Christmassy in July.
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
X Arbour

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

i have a vinyl day every week now
did a session of records acquired cheaply - a few quid
LSO - classic rock
LSO - classic rock. rhapsody on n black
judy collins - amazing grace compilation
Randy crawford - secret combination
meatloaf - bat out of hell ( free from mickbald)
bebop deluxe - sunburst finish

i did play one expensive record
witcha lineman by glenn campbell (£7.99 in hmv sale)

i’m amazed how they can sound so different, despite similarly thin vinyl the meatloaf sounds thin, randy crawford incredible
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 am

With a new turntable i found time yesterday to listen to
Hunky Dory first - it sounded amazing

Then
Recently - joan baez
lone star state of mind - nanci griffiths
never forever - kate bush
the stranger - billy joel
misplaced childhood - marillion
come away with me - norah jones

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:26 pm

Another day indoors with vinyl.
This is the same cartridge/stylus i had on my P3-24, just moved over but i can’t believe how much more detail and character i’m getting to hear on some stuff

specifically
Pet sounds - the different bells and horns)
also
modern times by latin quarter
yellow moon by neville brothers

additionally i listened to
blue lines by massive attack ( hymn of the big wheel is a fav)
in my tribe by 10000 maniacs
rattlesnakes - lloyd Cole
AR V by jonny cash ( great on vinyl)
Rickie lee jones debut album ( is this one of the best debuts ever?)
what’s happening stateside - a compilation of great singers, including a song by jimmy lewis called Girls from texas
broken english - marianne faithful

nipped into HMV and bought 2 new albums
wild Rose soundtrack
Singles by Future Islands
both are a joy on the turntable
Attachments
CFFFAD1C-CC9A-44D9-8CD2-FB6C1E6534A2.jpeg
CFFFAD1C-CC9A-44D9-8CD2-FB6C1E6534A2.jpeg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 365 times