Addicted
Addicted

AG500 AC regen - still a bargain

Postby callen24 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:33 pm

https://www.powerinspired.com/store/ag5 ... -1811.html

ideal for all sources, dacs
i ev nouse mine for the tv
not recommended for power amps
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Attonine

Re: AG500 AC regen - still a bargain

Postby Attonine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Reusrrecting an old thread, but.....

Been looking at the new version of this.

My DAC is essentially battery powered, mains just charges the battery. My Aires comes with a huge power supply. This just leaves my Active ATC’s, and general consensus is Power amps don’t do well on mains regenerator. Baring this in mind, am I correct in assuming that there would be absolutely no point in me getting anything like this at all?
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I'd say so.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Agreed, no gain in this case - I'm happy with mine though.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:48 pm

That was easy. :D

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 am

Having used an AG1500 for some time, I'd say that any 'improvement' as such in sound quality is marginal (possibly even non-existent).
For me however the point of a regenerator is to provide stable and consistent power no matter how variable is your mains. I've used the AG software to log my mains over a period, and the mains voltage swings quite considerably.

My conclusion is that even believing that the AG doesn't contribute much to the sound quality, I'd still use one to ensure stability, so Attonine, if you can afford one, get one!
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

mmm not if power amps dont do well on conditioners , might strangle dynamics perhaps . i guess only way is to try one
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am

hifinutt wrote:mmm not if power amps dont do well on conditioners , might strangle dynamics perhaps . i guess only way is to try one

I think the point of a re gen is that it isn’t a conditioner.

These AG are designed for lower amp age gear ( computers) so no one should expect them to work well on power amps

For me it’s a matter of getting that nighttime sound during the day. Most of my daily listening is before 7pm
But i’ve also found improvements to TV picture
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm

In accordance with current convention, I don't use my AG for my power amp.
I have a few times flouted that convention and tried out using the power amp via the AG, and found no discernable difference in sound quality.
BUT there's a big difference between the AG500 as in the original post, and the AG1500 that I have (i.e. the 1500 provides 3 times the wattage capacity).

..by the way PowerInspired no longer seem to make the 500 model.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:51 pm

It was the new 1500 I was looking at. I think for the time being I will put it at the bottom of the list rather than the top.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm

callen24 wrote:
hifinutt wrote:mmm not if power amps dont do well on conditioners , might strangle dynamics perhaps . i guess only way is to try one

I think the point of a re gen is that it isn’t a conditioner.

These AG are designed for lower amp age gear ( computers) so no one should expect them to work well on power amps

For me it’s a matter of getting that nighttime sound during the day. Most of my daily listening is before 7pm
But i’ve also found improvements to TV picture

agreed , thanks . funny how sounds better late at night .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Attonine wrote:It was the new 1500 I was looking at. I think for the time being I will put it at the bottom of the list rather than the top.

Your DAC has a battery and your streamer a very good LPSU so I'd be amazed if there was any difference.

Mains is bottom of my upgrade list too. Partly because both my DAC and phono stage use a battery and partly because I read so many wildly conflicting opinions on the subject. I have been perfectly happy with an Olson mains block for a number of years. I'll have a borrow of some Isotek or PS Audio gear one day I'm sure.

callen24 wrote:But i’ve also found improvements to TV picture

Really? Your mains supply must have some serious issues then.

My TV picture is worse during the day but only if Piers Morgan's on it.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm

i just bought another 2 of those tacima thingies , at 33 quid on amazon , its a bargain !!
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 pm

hifinutt wrote:i just bought another 2 of those tacima thingies , at 33 quid on amazon , its a bargain !!

I guess this leads to a second question. Joe has Olson, hifinut has Tacima, and I think Heretic Audio too (?), other posters have mentioned Isotek and PS Audio. Huge differences in price, but can performance be judged by this? What benefits are users getting? What’s the sweet spot, which mains block/ciomdotioner os the best bang for the buck?

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm

When I bought the AG500 I committed the biggest sin of all - changed too much at once so I really don't know if that individual bit made any difference.

1. Added a DAC XP Sig
2. Bought the AG500
3. Upgraded all the mains cables.

There was a definite massive improvement, mostly, I assume to the DAC.

But from the mains side, TBH, I don't know.

I bought leftover DIY screened mains kits from MCRU in their sale, cut them to length and bought extra ends as required. Made up each cable with an earth drain on the socket end. The result was 10 cables all cut to length, tidy and labeled. Total price under £100.

Worth every penny for the tidiness point of view.

And no, I have no intention of taking it all out to go back to basics to see if I can hear a difference.