Stereo 200 turning off at volume, more power? x300 sig?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
madaboutlawns

Re: Stereo 200 turning off at volume, more power? x300 sig?

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 pm

I think I've already made up my mind.
Because I've got all the other sig stuff it makes sense to get one.

I'll pick one up when I see one going at the right price.
I don't even think I own any cds.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm

thats like buying a car you havn`t got a driving license for !!! save your money !!
there will be plenty of other goodies to tempt you
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 pm

yes, I've upgraded the cable to a digital one on my streamer and now it sound a lot more like vinyl.
It wasn't an expensive cable, so I'm tempted to upgrade to a higher priced one, also I need some xlr cables that are better than the £15 ones I'm using.

Really the question should be cd player vs streamer, I think at the min the streamer's winning.
So no rush to grab cd player.
Last edited by madaboutlawns on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:03 pm

What a journey.
I’ve just started to re-read all the post in this thread, starting at the beginning. I’m reading on my phone, so not read all of them yet.
It’s interesting that I started out with only a pair of speakers and then I started to pick bits up.
The cxn streamer and stereo 200 were the first buys before upgrading to a full sig system.
The reason for this is, as I was selling the stereo 200 this morning I had to demo it on my system.
This thread started with me wanting more volume, now I don’t listen to anything loud at all. I nearly always listen at medium to quiet volume levels.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 am

Having now completed a side by side test of the stereo 200 and x300sig with the sane system and the same speakers.

I can say that all the talk about differences in amps etc do exist.

It would be nice one day to listen to the stereo 200 with some speakers that are not so difficult to drive.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:39 pm

You guys have been a great help.

It's easy now with hind sight to see that my problem was based around system matching.
To the uninitiated, most amps will seem pretty much all the same.
If anybody ever reads this thread that's thinking about amps, take note that your speaker driving requirements need to be met and exceeded by your amp / amps.
When I had the stereo 200, it stated 203w per channel into 6ohms. That reduces quite a lot when put through 4ohms.
Making the system sound under powered. This results in me not understanding whats going on and left confused.
It's not that the stereo 200 is a bad amp, just that it's not right for whacking great big speakers.
The lack of power had me turning the volume up to try and over compensate for this, hence why I was thinking along the volume route.

When in reality, as I was told but didn't understand, it's all the ability of the amp to have head room, and also be able to cope easily with the demands of the speakers.
Since upgrading to the mono x300sig's I now listen at low or medium volumes, but because the sound quality is so much different, my need for absolute power and volume has now gone. Making me realise that this wasn't the original problem. The sound quality, "thickness of the sound," instead of "thin sounding sound," has made all the difference. It's very difficult for me to put into word what I'm trying to describe, to me it's a more front to back sound, maybe a more 3 dimensional fuller sound.

I expect that this can probably be articulated better by somebody with more experience in explaining the qualities I'm trying to explain.

I'm one of those people that has to learn everything the hard way. I won't take peoples word for things if these a chance of any scepticism.
It's true that a wise man learns from his mistakes and an even wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes.
I'm probably preaching to the already converted and teaching nan to suck eggs, but if I can save somebody time and effort then why not?
What I must say and what I have found out, to my delight - and expense, (it wasn't cheap,) is that all the things that I had to find out first hand do actually exist and are true. A bit like Mythbusters.

Things like;

One amp sounds different from another - how can this be if they are just amplifying a signal - It's true, they sound different.
Cables make a huge difference - be it digital to digital, even optical and co-axle can sound different on the same system.
Speaker cables all sound different, I know, I've got 9 different brands, types, cable length also sounds different
Digital signals from streamers sound different, just bits or zeros and ones - They sound different, my cxn vs stream x sig vs onkyo all sound different
Get it right and Vinyl and Digital can sound great
The Cyrus PSX-r2 they do make the sound different, once you've got them you won't ever go back. So worth the upgrade.
Magazines can lie, don't always trust the review. - as if you needed telling, use your own ears.
Dealers know how to sell stuff, in my experience they know what sounds good and bad, they'll try and demo soundtracks that they know show a system to sound good and mask the harsh, crunch. take your own music or stream your own tracks, try the really difficult stuff when your on a demo, and see how the system copes. Although the dealers are generally decent, at the end of the day they are making a living, same as the mags.

My setup now sounds amazing, but there was loads of head scratching and wondering what's gone wrong to get here, even though I was shelling out £000's. I bought stuff that wasn't right for me in the beginning after a dealer told me that it was exactly what I was looking for, and more.
You have to live with a system for a while to know if it's for you or not, try and get a home demo on anything if you can.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Just been looking around the site at peoples systems.

It's amazing that even though I think I've spent quite a bit on a great system.
Some people on here have spent more than that on a pair of speakers or a dac or a cd player.
I've reached a level where I'm really happy, I wonder when I'll feel the need to upgrade again?
When will I decide to go to the next level?
Maybe I'll write back on this thread sometime in the future with updates.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 am

" Some people on here have spent more than that on a pair of speakers"

Some people have spent more than that on pieces of wire !

Beware: The need to update can strike at any time!
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2