Turntable vs Streamer What's best? Analogue vs Digital?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
madaboutlawns

Turntable vs Streamer What's best? Analogue vs Digital?

Postby madaboutlawns » Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 pm

So, I'm enjoying my system and decided to play some vinyl.

Then I had the thought that vinyl sounds a lot more real, alive and musical.
It seems to have an extra depth of texture, where the sounds fade in and out of focus that allows you to feel the music more.
The line between the two is very fine and you have to listen hard to tell the differences.

Apart from the availability of millions of tracks at the touch of a few buttons and also the fact that you can skip and jump through playlist, I can't see the benefits of streaming.

Will an improved streamer help?

So, I want to expand my system to either the stream x signature or the phono signature with a psx-r.

What's a good turntable to buy, I'm currently looking at the project RPM 3 Carbon, but I don't know anything about cartridges and arms etc.
Can somebody help with a quick lesson in the basics of turntables and what makes a good one.
So far all I can tell is that a separate motor helps with vibration.

Thanks again
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

Hasselblad100

Re: Turntable vs Streamer What's best? Analogue vs Digital?

Postby Hasselblad100 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:59 am

Surely you need to go and audition one with your equipment in your environment.

What you will largely get when you post a question like yours is opinions...only you can determine the facts regarding what gear you prefer

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

I read a review recently which said - allocate your budget in order. 1st. Cartridge. This will determine the sound. As a rule of thumb ( sorry but believe me I have experience) n MC will cost £1000 plus. Spend less and get a MM. 2nd Get an arm that will at the least, get an adequate return for the cost of the cartridge. ( we would all like an SME V. but it's not going to happen). 3rd. Get a Turntable to support 1 and 2. Project and Rega are a good place to start. A good dealer will be invaluable.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed May 16, 2018 4:45 pm

What music do you listen to? If the answer is contemporary music from the last 25 years then a vinyl setup isn't going to be anything more than an (albeit very enjoyable) novelty as your records are going to be cut from digital masters. Therefore, don't go mad and improve your digital front end as funds allow.

If you enjoy earlier recordings then go for turntable upgrades. Digital remastering can't match an all analogue LP but beware, in my experience, you have to spend a lot more on analogue than digital before the "fidelity" equals out but it's worth sacrificing detail for overall musicality.

If your knowledge on the subject is limited, it's best to avoid a second hand deck and take a visit to your local dealer, even if it will cost you more.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm

:)

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to buy a phono signature stage and then take some time to listen to a few different setups.

It sounds like I’m getting some great advice from experienced wise people. Thanks.

On a great positive note, I’ve just bought a stream x signature. WOW! I was using a cambridge audio cxn as thought that it was good, having lots of 5 star reviews.
The stream x sig, what a difference, it really is like night and day.
I can’t believe that two machines that pull a digital stream and send it to a dac can sound so different.
Now my system is really singing and I’m getting the sound that I hoped for.
I’m listening to vinyls from the 70’s and early 80’s at the min. But I have no real preference to music style or decade.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 pm

madaboutlawns wrote:Thanks for the advice, I’m going to buy a phono signature stage and then take some time to listen to a few different setups.

It sounds like I’m getting some great advice from experienced wise people. Thanks.

On a great positive note, I’ve just bought a stream x signature. WOW! I was using a cambridge audio cxn as thought that it was good, having lots of 5 star reviews.
The stream x sig, what a difference, it really is like night and day.
I can’t believe that two machines that pull a digital stream and send it to a dac can sound so different.
Now my system is really singing and I’m getting the sound that I hoped for.
Also the cadence app is fine, I can’t find any faults with it just yet.
I’m listening to vinyls from the 70’s and early 80’s at the min. But I have no real preference to music style or decade.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

MadMax

Postby MadMax » Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 am

IMHO- I think you should slow down!

Playing with so many variables all at once is going to make it hard to work out which bits you like and which bits you don't. Your all-sig system isn't even broken in yet!

And a turntable adds a whole lot of variables just within itself- set-up/ tuning, cartridge choice, tweaks, mods, phono stages (let alone ones that have adjustments, like the Cyrus Phono).

Don't get me wrong, they're great fun. Personally I bought one as I'd inherited the family's record collection, and after growing up with a turntable in the house I couldn't imagine being without one; but I don't think it's better, just different.

Take it easy and enjoy the ride!
Last edited by MadMax on Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATC SCM11s
X-Powers in Mono
DACXP+
CD 8vs
NAD 4020B
Rega P3 with Groovetracer sub

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

I just bought the cyrus phono signature, it'll be here in a couple of days.
Also, I've bought two psx-r2's one for the dac xp sig and the other for the phono sig.

I've spoken to a few dealers and most of them recommend a moving coil cartridge coupled with a decent tone arm and table.

I'm really enjoying the streamer at the min, I've about 100 dusty old albums and around 20 or so I've bought recently from a used record shop.

I have to say that up to now the system is turning out to be the system of my dreams.

I've decided to budget around £1500 ish for a turntable in the next week or so, then I will sit and enjoy it for a while.

I did make a mistake at first in buying the stereo 200 and cxn streamer.
Not really a mistake but I discovered I wanted to upgrade straight away.
There for sale if anybody's interested, don't think I can post yet on the fs section of this forum?

Record hunting then.

Thanks for the advice
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Make sure you invest in a record cleaning machine. The Project one is a good buy.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 am

Having had a little look around, I'm pointing towards the Michell GyroDec with a Ortofon cartridge.

Are they any good?
Any reason not to?

I'll invest in some record cleaning equipment or like you say try and get some thrown in with a deal.

After writing this post, I just noticed that that's what you've got Joe.
I trust your happy with it.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 am

madaboutlawns wrote:Having had a little look around, I'm pointing towards the Michell GyroDec with a Ortofon cartridge.

Are they any good?
Any reason not to?

I'll invest in some record cleaning equipment or like you say try and get some thrown in with a deal.

After writing this post, I just noticed that that's what you've got Joe.
I trust your happy with it.

It’s a great TT but like everything it’s subjective but you can’t go wrong I feel. See my sig, I am biased as I have one but love it and there are so many mod options for tinkering
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri May 18, 2018 7:37 am

As above - also a Gyro Dec owner (given over 20 years service) Ex service from the company as well. As for cartridge I will repeat 'don't spend less than a grand on a MC.' But there are some vg MM out there for less.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri May 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Love my Gyro. Just waiting on some upgrades to arrive at my local dealers as it happens. :)

I don't regret spending £500 on a MC. Didn't compare any though. Getting a demo of different carts is unrealistic.

Can I also echo the sentiment of slow down and enjoy your upgrades one at a time!

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 pm

I got my Gyrodec and phono stage with a psx - r2.

I got a goldring 1042 cart with a rega rb600 arm.

It sounds great, and I mean great.
Dire straits - amazing
Elkie brooks, pearls was just the first album I picked up and I played it and wow, I mean WOW!!!

I do have a question though
Where should the belt sit on the motor, It has two places a larger grove on the bottom and a smaller one on top of that in the middle.
I've got it on the slightly smaller one in the middle.

Also, I've put the belt on the lower grove on the platter.
Am I doing it right?
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8