Turntable vs Streamer What's best? Analogue vs Digital?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
roadsterg

Re: Turntable vs Streamer What's best? Analogue vs Digital?

Postby roadsterg » Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 am

It sounds like you have discovered that both formats can sound excellent if played through the right equipment. Digital formats have the advantage that when you want to listen continuously you can effortlessly choose any playing order and dip into your music library as the fancy takes you. In order to get the best of both worlds I have spent hundreds ( possibly thousands!) of hours making digital copies of my vinyl and cleaning them up if necessary, adding tags etc. The reward is that I can relax in an armchair and listen for an hour or two without having to move an inch or worry about any degradation of my precious vinyl through repetitive playing or clumsy handling. If I want a break from my own library I can also access a huge amount of internet material and radio stations from any part of the world.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed May 30, 2018 11:34 am

madaboutlawns wrote:Where should the belt sit on the motor, It has two places a larger grove on the bottom and a smaller one on top of that in the middle.
I've got it on the slightly smaller one in the middle.

Also, I've put the belt on the lower grove on the platter.
Am I doing it right?

Correct.

The lower position on the motor is for 45rpm.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

BB Wan
Five+

Postby BB Wan » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

madaboutlawns wrote:Where should the belt sit on the motor, It has two places a larger grove on the bottom and a smaller one on top of that in the middle.
I've got it on the slightly smaller one in the middle.

Also, I've put the belt on the lower grove on the platter.
Am I doing it right?

As Joe said for the motor, but regarding which groove in the platter to sit the belt, it doesn't technically matter which one you use, but I would always use whichever groove gets the belt as close to 'level' as possible. In other words, try to minimise the height variance between the motor groove and the platter groove you are using. Hope that makes sense.

I've set up a fair few Gyros in my time and spent months getting mine just right! If ever there was a product that reaps the benefit of careful setup, this the one! It certainly can be a dark art.
Gyro SE / Illustrious/ Kontrapunkt b
Stream X2
Phono Signature/PSX-R2
DAC XP Signature
Mono Xs
Monitor Audio PL200
BK XLS200 (pair)

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

A Dark art, your not kidding.

I've been playing with a speed checking tool on my iphone, I think it's made by rega.

I think I have a qc power supply and an ac motor, as it has the 3cm nut before the pulley.

I think I've been listening to it a bit slow and so I've been playing.

Now I can get the speed pretty much at 33.33 rpm almost every time i switch it on.
Sometimes a little slower but less than 1%.

What is the correct colour setting on the power supply for 33.33 and what should it be on for 45?
I've got it on red and second rib on the pulley for 33.33

I can't seem to get it right yet for 45 but I guess this would be , green light on qc and belt on bottom larger pulley?

Is there any user instructions anywhere, All I can find is the original set up instructions.

Thanks for all the help
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, I sorted the speed problems.
It turned out that the spindle with the well that the bearing sits on had moved lower and unscrewed itself. So the platter was resting on the frame.

I screwed it all back up tight again and now, everything is doing what its suppost to and at the right speed.

I was a little converned for a while that the motor was duff.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for suggesting I get a record cleaner.

I've just had one delivered and the difference it makes is unbelievable.

It's stopped all pops and crackles, the sound is now crisp and cleaner.

Thanks Guys.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I've just replaced a good quality rca phono cable between the streamer and dac with a chord digital cable.
I have to say that there is a marked improvement in bass and also musicality.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm torn again between streamer and turntable.

Since changing to a chord digital coaxial cable, the streamer now sounds even better.
I've been changing from the old cable to the new one in disbelief of the difference it makes.
It seems crazy to me to think that a bit of wire can change the sound so much but now it sound amazing.
It sounds so good I can't stop listening to it.

I was a sceptic about cables but now I can say they make a lot of difference, I'll now have to go out and find some new speaker cables and start the upgrading them all.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Just to be clear, you weren’t using a standard RCA cable before were you? One of a pair.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 am

Yes, when I got the streamer I didn't have a digital coaxial cable, only some RCA cables.
Not the standard red and white budget ones though.
I have a set of Atlas, QED and Chord stereo interconnects (not designed to be digital,) I was using a very short length QED cable as the digital interconnect.

Now I have bought an interconnect that is designed to be used as a digital interconnect - It sounds so much better.

I know it sounds stupid when I think about it.
The cables look similar with the same connections, so I thought there shouldn't be much of a difference.
I've read that a digital coaxial is 75 ohms and that most interconnects are this by default.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 am

This is reassuring for those of us who bought a mid-price digital coaxial cable without doing a test first!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 pm

madaboutlawns wrote:Yes, when I got the streamer I didn't have a digital coaxial cable, only some RCA cables.
Not the standard red and white budget ones though.
I have a set of Atlas, QED and Chord stereo interconnects (not designed to be digital,) I was using a very short length QED cable as the digital interconnect.

Now I have bought an interconnect that is designed to be used as a digital interconnect - It sounds so much better.

I know it sounds stupid when I think about it.
The cables look similar with the same connections, so I thought there shouldn't be much of a difference.
I've read that a digital coaxial is 75 ohms and that most interconnects are this by default.

The digital cable has derived the correct 75ohm impedance you need to connect the devices correctly as designed and hence the far better sound, it’s really important

What cable is it please?
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm

It's a chord c digital.
I was on my way home and past a shop, so I thought I would pop in and try a digital.

Although it's a mid / budget cable, it's improved things alot.

I really want some chord signature cables but the cost puts me off a little.
I've seen an £800 cable on ebay for £300, so I'm very tempted.

I'm also only using a very cheap (£15) set of xlr leads to connect the dac xp s to the 300x's.

I was in a hurry to find an xlr cable when I got the amps, so I want a good set of XLR's next.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

SAP7

Postby SAP7 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Just ask yourself if the wire in your kit is worth 800 quid.

All you need is the right sort of cable well made.

Or you can spend hundreds and you won’t hear a thing different.

Digital cable, low impedance phono leads and stereo intecontcts can all be made for well under a hundred quid. Speaker cable too.
CD XT sig / Aurender N100h  (Synology NAS) >  Chord Hugo TT > Perreaux Eloquence 255i > Boenicke W8
Technics SP10 and Jelco 750e
Grado GS1000e / 325e
Real name = Steve

jules

Postby jules » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 am

When getting into cables it's probably worth loaning some options from a dealer to see what you like and can afford.
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone