schiit saga

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: schiit saga

Postby hifinutt » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:43 pm

by the way , please tell me there are not 2.5k pages of posts on the schiit page .... how on earth did you find that link in all that lot
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Today’s listen was fine. I now cannot hear the hum from my seat, only when I put my ear right next to the speaker. I was considering buying a matched pair of the Brimar 6SN7 tubes off their website for the gain stage and may do so soon.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:54 pm

fantastic ... so good to hear that . you sometimes do hear a tiny bit of noise if you put your ear up . not sure i would bother changing to brimar if you have got rid of the tube noise ...just enjoy the big soundstage and lack of noise !!
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

vincula

Postby vincula » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:46 pm

I imagine that upgrading that cheap volume pot would make quite a difference in both preamps. Something like a TKD with the same specs, for instance. Not really expensive and very high quality. It's at least as important as tube-rolling. I'd say it'll make a bigger difference.

Regards,

Vincula

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

vincula wrote:I imagine that upgrading that cheap volume pot would make quite a difference in both preamps. Something like a TKD with the same specs, for instance. Not really expensive and very high quality. It's at least as important as tube-rolling. I'd say it'll make a bigger difference.

Regards,

Vincula

They don't use pots as such. The Saga has a relay-switched stepped attenuator with discrete thin-film resistors , 64 1dB steps whilst the Freya also has a relay-switched stepped attenuator with discrete thin-film resistors but has 128 0.625dB steps. And you can hear it click with every step up or down.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

vincula

Postby vincula » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Looking at the pictures on their site, I only spotted a cheap Alps-looking thing... Maybe it's an old version then. Dunno.

Regards,

Vincula

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm

vincula wrote:Looking at the pictures on their site, I only spotted a cheap Alps-looking thing... Maybe it's an old version then. Dunno.

Regards,

Vincula

My Freya definitely clicks when I increase or decrease the volume which I’ve never known a pot to do.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm

very impressed with the saga which is still in sytem and will swop again in a few weeks to the freya
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

mrcyrus

Postby mrcyrus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:58 am

Reading through the entire post, from what I think I've understood, the valve pre-amp is susceptible to picking up FM broadcast noise? I've been looking at my set up for a while, and have recently added a vinyl component to my system (Rega P2 with stock cartridge and Cyrus Phono Sig). I like the Cyrus sound, but am wondering whether a valve pre-amp would make the vinyl sound warmer / richer than the Cyrus DACXP+ Sig.

Do you know any retailers in the UK that demo (or will allow a home-demo really) the Schiit valve preamps?
Also just wondering whether you stuck with the Freya in the end?
Don't agree with my comments? - no problem, by all means disagree, but please be polite about it. There's too much anger and hate in the world as it is.

Sonos ZP90 ------>
Rega Planar 2 ---> Phono Sig. --->
CDXTSE2 (PSX-R) --Belden 1394a--> DACXP+ Sig (PSX-R) --chord-chorus-2 XLR--> Mono X300 -Atlas Hyper 2.0--> B&W CM7

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:50 pm

I can reply to parts of this. The only UK reseller is Mark at Schiit.eu.com. They are mail order only. The whole Schiit ethos is to keep prices low by cutting out the dealer network who Schiit say typically account for around 40% of an RRP.

As mentioned in the thread, I have a Freya. The only issue I have is with a crackle with certain valves. I know it’s the valve as the crackle moves channel when I swap the valve positions.

mrcyrus

Postby mrcyrus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

julianh wrote:I can reply to parts of this. The only UK reseller is Mark at Schiit.eu.com. They are mail order only. The whole Schiit ethos is to keep prices low by cutting out the dealer network who Schiit say typically account for around 40% of an RRP.

As mentioned in the thread, I have a Freya. The only issue I have is with a crackle with certain valves. I know it’s the valve as the crackle moves channel when I swap the valve positions.

Do you think the crackle is a "problem" with the valves, or is it external electrical noise that some of the valves are sensitive to (i.e. could it be eliminated by filtering the mains power supply - using a UPS or similar)? I did try powering my Cyrus DACXP+ Sig (and then the Mono X300's) with an APC UPS instead of the PSX-R for the DACXP to see if there were any noticeable differences - none in my case.

So I guess the chance of a home demo is somewhat limited - although I'll look and see what their returns policy is.
From a practical perspective - do you leave the valves to warm up (or is this an old-fashioned - i.e. something that doesn't affect modern day valves)?
Don't agree with my comments? - no problem, by all means disagree, but please be polite about it. There's too much anger and hate in the world as it is.

Sonos ZP90 ------>
Rega Planar 2 ---> Phono Sig. --->
CDXTSE2 (PSX-R) --Belden 1394a--> DACXP+ Sig (PSX-R) --chord-chorus-2 XLR--> Mono X300 -Atlas Hyper 2.0--> B&W CM7

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Cyrus have never made great pre-amps. The one in the DACXP Sig is probably the best they have ever made but other makes are worth considering. I have had a Bel Canto pre3VB which was great although my friend was not convinced in a Cyrus system. I currently have a MF passive pre which sounds great but I would not describe it as warm!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:13 pm

my saga is for sale if any one wants one

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... mp.221523/
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm

yes i am using the freya , it has been fine so far and used it for a couple of months . i may sell it in time as ultimately want to get back an arc pre amp but can`t quite stretch to 7k for the beautiful example at midland audio :)
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:34 pm

1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner