Your thoughts and advice please

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
shaneclare

Your thoughts and advice please

Postby shaneclare » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:12 pm

I was listening to my turntable yesterday evening at a reasonably high volume, when it got to around the third track of the album I noticed an oscillating sound between tracks, at first I thought it was something on the record I’d not noticed before but it persisted when the record had finished, this has never happened before.

When I touched the turntable to lift the needle the sound abated, from this I assumed there wa an earth issue, so I disconnected the earth to the phone pre-amp and the sound lessen but not didn’t stop completely. I then held the earth connector in my hand no change.

From this I assume the tone arm earth is the problem?

However, what I don't understand is when I touch the turntable the noise lessons considerably but doesn’t go completely which I would expect if I was acting as earth, have I completely misunderstood, are there any suggestions or thoughts as to how I can isolate the problem and rectify the issue?

Thanks
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Your thoughts and advice please

Postby mickbald » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I have a similar problem on my system.

I eventually found that it was caused by having the Powerline ethernet adapters switched on which were generating RF. The arm was acting like an aerial and causing noises as you describe.

I simply turn them off when not required.

When I spoke to my dealer he said he had experienced it before and that he'd had one example of a neighbours adapters causing the problem.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:45 pm

A very big thank you to Mick.

I have a dedicated circuit for my hifi but recently introduced a power line so I could extend the WiFi to the garden. I don’t usually listen at high volumes and so the interference wasn’t obvious until last week.

Once the powerline is switched off the noise disappears, I’ll have to find a new location for it.

Mick you have saved me a lot of time and possibly money, I thought my tone arm was off for a rewire.

Thanks again
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 pm

No problem mate, enjoy!