Google Chromecast Audio

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Google Chromecast Audio

Postby angelface » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 am

This was on my birthday list but everyone in France seems to be sold out. Staff in Boulanger said that Google have stopped making them and had no plans to bring out a new model.

I found one on ebay so this is likely to be my Christmas present.

If you don't currently have a streamer, buy one as quick as you can as they are by far the cheapest way into internet music streaming. If you have a reasonable DAC you can connect using an optical cable!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

vincula

Re: Google Chromecast Audio

Postby vincula » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I didn't know it had been discontinued. A real second-hand bargain for some then. Get one, try it, and give it as gift to someone in case you don't fancy it or decide to go for one of the big boys - I won't, since I am so happy with mine. Absolutely fuss-free set up and works a treat. Recommended.

Regards,

Vincula

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am

angelface wrote:This was on my birthday list but everyone in France seems to be sold out. Staff in Boulanger said that Google have stopped making them and had [b]no plans to bring out a new model[/b].

I found one on ebay so this is likely to be my Christmas present.

If you don't currently have a streamer, buy one as quick as you can as they are by far the cheapest way into internet music streaming. If you have a reasonable DAC you can connect using an optical cable!

I've just read on 'WhatHIFI' that they've launched a new, improved version. That's presumably why nobody is selling the old one.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/new-chromecast-adds-1080p60fps-streaming-and-multi-room-audio
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 am

It is a new Chromecast not a new Chromecast audio. The chromecast has an HDMI connection. The audio has a USB connection.

I'm guessing they are dropping the audio.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Chrispgy

Postby Chrispgy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Currys are still stocking the Chromecast Audio

tc

Postby tc » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am

I think this is a France / Europe issue.
The Chromecast audio is available in the UK google store - but not in the French version.

I was looking for the chromecast combined power supply and wired network plug - again, this is only available in the UK.
I had to buy it at a UK address then get it forwarded to France along with a UK to Euro plug convertor....

Der-Gruni
One+

Postby Der-Gruni » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi there,

maybe this is a good streamingtool for you. I`m using it and my daughter (15) for Spotify. Plug-In an HDD/SSD or USB-Stick with flac-files, connect via optical-cable to a dac and then listen to great sound. Can use Spotify-Premium only! App for Iphone and Android.

https://www.teufel.de/multiroom/teufel-connector-p18477.html

Bye from Germany
Rolf
aka
Der-Gruni
Cyrus dAD3 CD-Player, Matrix-MINI dac, Cyrus 8vs2 amp, QUAD 22L Speaker :)
2. amp Musical-Fidelity DAVID (aka A1-X; fully revised)

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:10 pm

And finally I get my Chromecast Audio and Atlas optical cable into my hi-fi room.

With a bit of patience, I download Google Home on to my wife's Chromebook and managed to connect to Chromecast Audio.

My son-in-law said you needed paying Spotify to cast but it worked fine almost immediately.

As this was a Christmas present from my wife, I invited her to listen. We were both impressed by sound quality (the Chromecast connects digitally and optically to a TOS input on my DAC). We listened to a track by London Grammar as she likes them and she then asks does it sound better on CD. So I put the same track on using CDP.

I didn't have to ask if she could tell the difference; she says Chromecast is good but not as good as CD.

Will be useful for visitors playing their music and for trying out new music (Computer sound quality was poor).

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:33 pm

are you going to try the free tidal trial?
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

callen24 wrote:are you going to try the free tidal trial?

Not for the moment. I don't think I will use this more than a few hours a year. 10 euros a month would get me another acoustic panel in a year!

If I decide to get a Cyrus or Bel Canto streamer that would be different.

frederico

Postby frederico » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Chromecast Audio has officially been discontinued.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/google-kills-the-chromecast-audio/
--------
Mac Mini / creative soundblaster E5 soundcard
8 DAC QX
DAB 8.0
Kef R300
--------

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 am

If you don't already have a streamer get one of these before they run out!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

angelface wrote:If you don't already have a streamer get one of these before they run out!

what an incredible bargain, connect by toslink, sounds great
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:19 pm

I have a couple bought when they were cheap but don’t use either. I tested one whilst I was without my Cyrus streamer many moons ago but since then it has sat on the side waiting for me to think about where to use it. I recall it was relatively easy to set up and use and sounded pretty good into my DAC.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:01 pm

julianh wrote:I have a couple bought when they were cheap but don’t use either. I tested one whilst I was without my Cyrus streamer many moons ago but since then it has sat on the side waiting for me to think about where to use it. I recall it was relatively easy to set up and use and sounded pretty good into my DAC.

i think they sound better than sonos connect via digital