What happens when the NAS fallsover

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
caine
Addicted
Addicted

What happens when the NAS fallsover

Postby caine » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:58 pm

You guessed it. My synology DS1515+ stopped, completely dead. Been building computers and servers for quite a number of years; so did all the obvious. Thought it was either the internal PSU or main board/cpu. Contacted synology and its a known issue with the quad core Intel Atom C2000 processor. This processor is in quite a lot of synology gear and I'm guessing other manufacturers. My unit is a 5 HDD nas, so backup is an issue. I had it running in an SHA hybrid mode (similar to RAID5); so it could hack a two disc failure. I should have backed up the unit, but never quite got around to it.

Looks as though I am going to recover my data; by running the five discs together (so that I can see entire volume 1) on one computer with Ubuntu (running in ram) then transfer the info onto other discs. Not straightforward, but doable and worth it.

Synology have increased their warranty to deal with the C2000 issue. So I'm sending my unit back for replacement. Once back I will be setting my synology ds213j up with a couple of 6TB discs in RAID 0 so that I can backup 12GB of data on the DS1515+. Obviously I should have done this in the first place. Never stops the processor or CPU failing which is a big problem with most computer hardware as these become obsolete so quickly or were never sold separate.

The unexpected happened and i was not prepared. Hopefully I'll learn.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Starwarsmike2422

Re: What happens when the NAS fallsover

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am

Hi

This happened to me also a few years ago! It's a bit of a nightmare reconstructing the raid.

To reconstruct I used windows 10 on my PC, it will running in RAID 0, I had to remove the Raid 0 to free up a sata slot drive so I could fit in all 5 NAS drives. So I then took an image copy of windows, remove the Raid 0 - boot up without raid, connect all 5 drives and reconstruct the raid from the NAS. Copied all files on to external drives - Removed all drives - connect my other raid 0 drive - and create raid 0 again - then flash the windows 10 image back on. If I recall it took a few good days to do it all.

I think most people who buy a NAS think Raid is a backup, well it's not. If you lose 2 drives then you will lose files. Now I have everything on external drives as a backup
ASR Emitter Exclusive II
Roon -- SOTM Ultra+PSU -- TAD D1000
PS Audio P5 Regenerator
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers
Reference Fidelity Saturn cables
Symposium Isolation Platforms and Rollerblocks
GIK Acoustic Panels

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 am

Starwarsmike2422 wrote:Hi

I think most people who buy a NAS think Raid is a backup, well it's not. If you lose 2 drives then you will lose files. Now I have everything on external drives as a backup

A very important point. You should always have an external backup.

This is quite a good article on the subject: https://www.cloudberrylab.com/blog/is-raid-a-backup/
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:47 pm

A case of "do as I say, not as I do"! I'm guilty of the same, I work in IT and I tell everyone to back everything up regularly. But... do I backup all my own valuable data with the same zeal I tell others to? No, of course note!

My sympathies Caine, and good luck sorting it out.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 am

This my very well be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway....

So using Synology SHA Raid, is not the same as using Raid 1, as both drives are not an identical copy, in which case I would need to change mine from SHA to Raid 1 to ensure I have a mirror image of the first hard drive on the second for back up purposes?

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Raid 1 is mirroring. So one drive copies the other, or two drives copy the other two. Regardless if the motherboard or processor goes down, you'll be in the same boat as me. I managed to fully recover the data off the 5 discs by connecting them and a very large HDD with a USB running ubuntu via one PC. Just doing the RMA with synology to get a replacement NAS.

Synology's own explanation of their hybrid raid system against classic raid config
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Rune

Postby Rune » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Using SHA is fine, if the NAS hardware fails you can put the Hard drives into new one. It should be able to recover.
It is the same thing you can do if you upgrade your Synology NAS.

But as mention by others using SHA, RAid 1 etc. is not a backup.

Thinking about it maybe it is not such a bad idea to not owning any music and just stream from TIdal, Qubuz etc.
No worrying about backing up music collection. ;)
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub