Two sources into one set of speakers

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
johnandvirginia

Two sources into one set of speakers

Postby johnandvirginia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 am

I am really pleased with the sound from my tube amp but it does take a while to warm up and I certainly can't leave it on all the time.
So at present I have a Naim pre-amp/streamer feeding signals to my valve amp and then to my Focal speakers.
Also in the chain I have a Bel Canto C7R integrated amp which I use jusst for FM radio and phono stage. Would it be possible to remove the Bel Canto from the chain and let it run independantly i.e.not connected to the pre-amp. Would it be possible to run another set of speaker cables from the Bel Canto to the Focals or would I need some sort of switching device to ensure that only one signal could be played at a time?
If it were possible to run the Bel Canto independently this means I could leave this switched on permanently and could have instant access to FM radio and my record collection.
I realize that the obvious solution is to sell the Bel Canto, buy a phono stage and use the internet radio option on the Naim pre-amp/streamer.
However I keep thinking that the day might come when I could really make use of the Bel Canto perhaps in another room.
Any help would be much appreciated.

mojo

Re: Two sources into one set of speakers

Postby mojo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 am

Afraid not - you can't (or at least shouldn't try to) connect two amps to one set of speakers without a switch, to ensure that they cannot be electrically connected at the same time.

Switching boxes aren't too expensive though. I doubt a true audiophile would consider using one, but I personally doubt too that many people would be able to hear any signal degradation due to one...

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether a tube amp can operate without damage into an open circuit. The BC should be Ok with it, but I believe some valve amps can sustain damage.

And of course you need to be sure that neither amp is connected to/disconnected from the speakers while playing - you would probably be Ok at low volume, but something will blow if you try it at high volume!