AV receiver recommendations sub-£1000 ?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Re: AV receiver recommendations sub-£1000 ?

Postby RichardLowe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

A ticklist of features isn't necessarily the only guide you should use. For example, many receivers may have 4K upscaling but it can be awful on cheaper models. If you have a good 4K TV you can simply pass the signal through and let the TV do the upscaling instead. That's just one feature where there can be a host of variables you may want to consider, and not just say it has feature x, y or z, so job done, regardless of the cost.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 pm

RichardLowe wrote:
ddias_de wrote:
hifinutt wrote:would i be right in thinking that the AV amp will be under less strain if only driving 3 speakers i.e centre and rear

That's what I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on for me... Remember that the speakers are rated at 4ohm...

It depends on the receiver. If it uses a common power supply for all channels then yes, driving less channels will reduce the load. Especially if you remove the FL and FR channels which use the most power.

Thanks!

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm

callen24 wrote:the award winning denon at 899 has amazon alexa etc, if you want to spend that much
but i’ve just noticed you mention a sub, very important for films, so i might keep spending on an av low to maximise funds for a sub

Currently reduced to c. £600

https://www.amazon.de/Denon-AVRX3500HBK ... avr-x3500h

Other than the WHF review can't see much else on it.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am

also my sister has a denon 1907 you could try and see if that works as a pre amp, it doesn’t have the latest formats but sounds great in dolby digital etc..
just pay for postage, if it does a good job keep it?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Rune

Postby Rune » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Also consider NAD 758 v3. It has Dirac Live which is probably the best room correction system
And BlueSound streamer build in which means it is also RoonReady.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 pm

ddias_de wrote:
hifinutt wrote:would i be right in thinking that the AV amp will be under less strain if only driving 3 speakers i.e centre and rear

That's what I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on for me... Remember that the speakers are rated at 4ohm...

If I read it correctly, you're asking if your front left and right speakers will be OK for the AV amp?

If so, then the answer is none whatsoever. The idea is to feed the AV front left and right pre-amp outputs to the pass-through input on your Cyrus pre-amp. It then feeds to your existing Mono-X power amps and on to the front left and right speakers.
The AV amp never drives front left and right speakers. It only drives the center and rears.
Akurate EDSM; Akurate Kontrol/0/D pro; Akurate Exaktbox/1; 3x Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Exakted PMC Twenty.26;  A4200/1, PMC Twenty.C; C4100, PMC Twenty.21;  Linn Silver ICs;  S480 BD; Samsung 40" 1080P 100Hz; Quadraspire; P5.
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC; Cyrus 6; Mission 773e
http://www.audiophilemusings.co.uk

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Possibly also consider the Emotiva AV processor.

It has no amps at all, so you'd need to add a single Cyrus mono power amp for your centre and a Cyrus stereo power amp for your rears. The benefit being in the consistency of the Cyrus sound across the system.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/emotiva-mc ... gJVvfD_BwE
Akurate EDSM; Akurate Kontrol/0/D pro; Akurate Exaktbox/1; 3x Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Exakted PMC Twenty.26;  A4200/1, PMC Twenty.C; C4100, PMC Twenty.21;  Linn Silver ICs;  S480 BD; Samsung 40" 1080P 100Hz; Quadraspire; P5.
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC; Cyrus 6; Mission 773e
http://www.audiophilemusings.co.uk

alancyrus8

Postby alancyrus8 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:20 pm

ddias_de wrote:
Joe wrote:I agree that you shouldn't pay for features you don't need but remember that cheaper receivers tend to have less power output. Home Cinema needs a bit of muscle as it's supposed to have one volume setting - loud!

What are you driving the BBG with for stereo?

I'm driving my BBGs with a pair of Cyrus Mono X. I'm wondering what impact on AV amp power usage that using them via HT bypass for the fronts will have.

I have the same speakers through the AV direct output on a Signature x300 system via a Sony AV DA2400ES. A fairly old 7.1 AV amp but it sounds really nice and dynamic , recommend you check out Sony AV amps as well as the Denon amps.
Cyrus CD XT SIG Dac XP SIG PSX-R2 X300 SIG's DAB 8 V.A Beethovan Concert Grands + Tellurium Q Black MK2 speaker cables & MK1 XLR cables + Rega P3 -24 psu wlth Rega Exact cartridge. Squeezebox Touch. HiFiMAN HE-560 +Lehmann Amp . Cyrus CDI player with PSR-R1 in second system.

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks all - i went for the Denon AVR3500 in the end. Wired it up last night and it all sounds fine far - love how my existing stereo system is unaffected.
Now I just need my new rack to turn up and an electrician to sort out this mess of cables!