New Cyrus QXR DAC Module

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

New Cyrus QXR DAC Module

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm

What HiFi are reporting a new Cyrus rus DAC module - https://www.whathifi.com/amp/news/cyrus ... fier-range. Its not available for the XP or XP+ however looking at the list. I assume however a new flagship model may come soon to replace these, with an upgrade fee for XP and XP+ owners.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

erri

Re: New Cyrus QXR DAC Module

Postby erri » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Will it be available for Stream Xp2 QX?

From the list in whathifi article it does not seem to be available, but should it be the same for the streamers?

Enrico

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Nope.

82DAC, 82DAC Qx, 8 DAC, 8 DAC Qx, 8 a, 6 DAC, 6a, 8 XP, 8 XPd, 8 XPd Qx, 6 XP, 6 XPd, Pre2DAC, Pre2DAC Qx, Pre DAC, Pre DAC Qx, Pre XP, Pre XPd, Pre XPd Qx

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/qxr-upgrade-card/
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

£600! That’s a lot. It needs to be good for that price.

Interesting that amps all the way down to the lowly 6 can be upgraded with this card.

As for the Stream XP2 QX, although not explicitly listed I would expect it to be included. The Cyrus site says all “amps” with a QX card.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Attonine wrote: As for the Stream XP2 QX, although not explicitly listed I would expect it to be included. The Cyrus site says all “amps” with a QX card.

I don't know, but if the Stream XP2 QX is a single printed circuit board with the QX DAC circuit integrated onto it, then it may not be on the list. To me it looks like it's only the amps that have the replaceable plug-in DAC module. Did the Stream XP2 use the same QX DAC module?
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

erri

Postby erri » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Well in this case, another minus in terms of upgradeability of cyrus products.

On top of my other topic on AV replacement....it may trigger a streamer replacement...

E

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm

RichardLowe wrote:
Attonine wrote: As for the Stream XP2 QX, although not explicitly listed I would expect it to be included. The Cyrus site says all “amps” with a QX card.

I don't know, but if the Stream XP2 QX is a single printed circuit board with the QX DAC circuit integrated onto it, then it may not be on the list. To me it looks like it's only the amps that have the replaceable plug-in DAC module. Did the Stream XP2 use the same QX DAC module?

I am assuming it does use the same plug in module. If you look at the Cyrus Uograde price list, a XP2>XP2 QX upgrade is exactly the same price as a Pre2 DAC > Pre2 DAC QX, and 82 DAC> 82 DAC QX, which suggests it is the same module being plugged in.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Hopefully so for the Stream XP owners who fancy the upgrade. A call to a Cyrus dealer should confirm one way or the other. However I can't help but think if the upgrade was possible the marketing team would have added it to the list. A bit of a miss otherwise!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 pm

if you can get hold of an 8a integrated, or the rare pre XP it might be a bit of a bargain
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 pm

RichardLowe wrote:Hopefully so for the Stream XP owners who fancy the upgrade. A call to a Cyrus dealer should confirm one way or the other. However I can't help but think if the upgrade was possible the marketing team would have added it to the list. A bit of a miss otherwise!

Would then a Stream XP + Upgrade be better than a StreamX + DACXP ??!!
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 am

zippy wrote:Would then a Stream XP + Upgrade be better than a StreamX + DACXP ??!!

lanchashirelad had confirmation from Cyrus that DACXP SIg is still the best DAC.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:04 pm

angelface wrote:lanchashirelad had confirmation from Cyrus that DACXP SIg is still the best DAC.

The DAC XP Sig is limited to 24 bit, 192 kHz, has no USB input and doesn't play DSD. Perhaps the Sig gives better sound quality on a like for like input. For example if both the Sig and QXR play a 24/192 track via a digital input. But what if you play the identical track mastered as DSD 512 and via asynchronous USB input to the QXR? It would be interesting to hear how that compares.

erri

Postby erri » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:18 am

I just had confirmation form cyrus: "The Stream XP2 Qx has the DAC circuitry built into the main PCB and not on a separate DAC board"

No QXR upgrade available then for streamers

E

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:19 pm

RichardLowe wrote:
angelface wrote:lanchashirelad had confirmation from Cyrus that DACXP SIg is still the best DAC.

The DAC XP Sig is limited to 24 bit, 192 kHz, has no USB input and doesn't play DSD. Perhaps the Sig gives better sound quality on a like for like input. For example if both the Sig and QXR play a 24/192 track via a digital input. But what if you play the identical track mastered as DSD 512 and via asynchronous USB input to the QXR? It would be interesting to hear how that compares.

DSD512?
surely this is like SACD, DVD-A, never likely to be available as the widely available formats
Obviously i am limited by my cyrus stream but i have done a few blind tests with visitors on a few tracks of the 16 bit cd rip with 24 bit downloads. Saying one was better even with intense listening was hard, and could be down to mastering rather than format.
I would suspect new music recorde in DSD512 has its advantages, we want the highest quality, but reformatting the classic 70s albums from masters as DSD512 seems like just an opportunity to re sell us something we already have.
it is no surprise to see that the blu-ray audio releases have created a similar catalogue as was available for SACD.
Amused to death by roger waters was rereleased as 24/48 24/96 24/192. In normal listening can people tell the difference?
The best thing about the QXR dac is compatibility, whatever the source it can play it
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

nathanc

Postby nathanc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:12 am

I'm very interested in getting this upgrade for my Pre2Dac but I'd have to compare it to a 2nd hand Chord2Qute which you can get for the same kind of money.
When I bought my Pre2Dac, I trialled one of those but went for the pre as the improvement in sound was to all inputs, not just digital. That said, I remember the Chord as sounding amazing when plugged in to my old Pre. Keeping the box count the same though, makes it a very attractive proposition!
Cyrus Pre 2 Dac with PSX-r and 2 x MonoX (Van Damme Blue 4mm) Kef Q35. Quad CD67 (Digital) & Rega P3-2000/Elys 2/EA Little Belter with GSP Era Gold V + PSU1 and Intel NUC/MF Vlink II (optical) running jRiver + AV stuff