Setting up AV5 with AV Commander remote

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
jemhayward
Five+

Setting up AV5 with AV Commander remote

Postby jemhayward » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Just bought my first Cyrus component, used, off eBay, a AV5 preamp, tu use in my TV/Vinyl system. It's very nice. I need to set up the speakers and would like to use the auto-calibration facilities. However, the remote I've been sent is the AV commander remote, and not the AV Preamplifier remote. Is it possible to set the AV 5 up with the AV commander remote?

If no, does anyone know where I could source the correct remote?

mojo

Re: Setting up AV5 with AV Commander remote

Postby mojo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Do you have the original microphone (with working battery)? You will need one for the auto-calibration process.

When I last tried it (on an AV5 or AV8 - can't remember which now) it didn't seem to get very good results. I found it easier to set it up just by measuring the distances and setting up the levels by ear.

Whether the remote will work depends on exactly which model - if you mean what Cyrus call the AVRS7.2 then yes, I believe you should be able to send all of the setup codes that the original AV5 remote could send - by using the AV Setup button, bottom left.

jemhayward
Five+

Postby jemhayward » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Cyrus were very helpful - the remote I got with the unit isn't suitable for setting up, but they have supplied a AVRS7.2 and I've managed to get it set up to a degree. I haven't got the microphone, so I set the front speakers up 'by ear' and they sound fine. The facility to send noise to each speaker in sequence doesn't give out any sound at all which is very odd, I think I must be doing something wrong. Also the optical digital input 1 doesn't seem to work, but input 2 does, so I'm ok with that for now. I'm struggling to set up my rear speakers. My sub has died, which was a bit confusing, but nothing to do with the AV5!

tazfi
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby tazfi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:54 pm

A bit late in the day, but if you manage to get the sound test working I used a tape measure and cheap sound meter of ebay. Worked a treat, also probably more reliable than the auto calibration, especially from any older model. Good luck.
Tazfi

Michelle Mycro, RB 250 with Goldring 1042, Cyrus CD XT, Chord Hugo,  Cyrus Pre Xvs, 2*mono X to Spendor D7. Yamaha 2040 running centre B&W HTM7 and B&W M1s rears and REL Sub