Best speaker upgrade for AvMaster/XPA/Smartpower: advice please

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Blackburn_simon
One+

Best speaker upgrade for AvMaster/XPA/Smartpower: advice please

Postby Blackburn_simon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 pm

Dear all, it says I’m new here but I’m a lapsed member...

I’m currently using an Energy Take 5.1 and fancied using my Ruark Epilogues somewhere in the mix. Should they go in front or behind? If in front I’ll leave the rest alone. If behind, what floorstanders can you recommend?

I could swap the Epilogues for my mother’s Mission 782. Or go for a Ruark or Dynaudio floorstander.

Any ideas on how to get my Cyruses punching their weight would be appreciated as I don’t think tiny satellites/sub really do them justice...

mojo

Re: Best speaker upgrade for AvMaster/XPA/Smartpower: advice please

Postby mojo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 am

IMO... it's a compromise.

I went through a phase of trying to create a system that did both music stereo and AV sound well and in the end I gave up on it - but it does depend on what you want. If for example you want synthesised surround sound for music (which an AVMaster8 will do) then you need good quality speakers all round. If you just want it for AV surround then the rear speakers don't need to be the same quality as the front - mostly they are just for effects.

My eventual compromise was to keep an old Mission 782, 78c, 78ds setup to go with the AVM8, and go for a completely separate system (based on Hypex and ATC SCM40s) for music. I kept the Mission setup primarily because it is worth very little secondhand but still works well for AV. I suspect a system based on satellites and a sub would also work well - provided you didn't want it to be really good for music-only duties.

I accept though that others will have a completely different view - it's very dependent on what you want to achieve, and how much space and how much cash you have (plus other factors such as what your other half will tolerate).

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 pm

good to have you back on here , and also to hear your mum has mission speakers !! brilliant

There are so many choices for speaker that its hard to recommend any in particular . proac , spendor , dynaudio , all do wonderful speakers

what would your budget be ?
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 pm

For surround sound
1) use your best speakers and amps for the fronts
2) Try to get a matching (as fronts, same make and if possible same tweeter) speaker for centre
3) Backs are less important (I had some Eltax rears and they were fine, Spendor wall mounted speakers were better!)
4) Get a sub if your fronts are bass light
5) Full range speakers sound much better than satellite speakers but not always possible.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:10 pm

good succinct advice , i still use eltax for rears
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns