Advice - Link power amplifier and 8a integrated amp

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
frazzle
Five+

Advice - Link power amplifier and 8a integrated amp

Postby frazzle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Would the link power amplifier connect and improve an 8a. I ask as I’ve seen a used link power amplifier but not sure if it would make much difference.

mojo

Re: Advice - Link power amplifier and 8a integrated amp

Postby mojo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm

I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it.

On paper, the spec is inferior to the spec of the power amp section of an 8a integrated, so if you were just going to use the pre-outs on the 8a and swap in a Linkpower you would not expect to hear an improvement.

However.if you wanted to bi-amp it's possible that you would - depending on the speakers. My personal experience of bi-amping is that I wasn't that impressed, the few times I've tried it. But others may have done it and had a better experience.

STodd
Addicted
Addicted

Postby STodd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:54 pm

mojo wrote:I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it.

On paper, the spec is inferior to the spec of the power amp section of an 8a integrated, so if you were just going to use the pre-outs on the 8a and swap in a Linkpower you would not expect to hear an improvement.

However.if you wanted to bi-amp it's possible that you would - depending on the speakers. My personal experience of bi-amping is that I wasn't that impressed, the few times I've tried it. But others may have done it and had a better experience.

+1

IMHO you'd need to be bi-amping with a SmartPower Plus or X-Power to actually hear the benefit
MMStreamer (Teddy12/4) ► DAC X Sig/PSX-R || Rega P3-24 (Dino & Dino+)
MFA Classic Copper ► Mono X ► PMC GB1i
Cables: ML Binary Star, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA | Chord Epic / ST
AG500 Mains Regen | http://www.last.fm/user/stetod

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm

my understanding is the link power is a smartie without psxr port.

it is only worth it if you have bi-wireable speakers.

i added a q power and later a smartpower to an 8xpd, to bi amp. I noticed more separation, better imaging. Don’t expect a huge improvement but i think it is worth while.

but better to save up your money and get an x power.

Have you considered getting your 8a upgraded to a qxr?
i suspect that might be the best overall upgrade from where you are now
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

mojo

Postby mojo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:34 pm

callen24 wrote:my understanding is the link power is a smartie without psxr port

No - it's a development of the XPA. Lower output than the Smartpower, no Mono mode and as you say, no PSX-R connection. Commonly used for rear/surround channels on AV systems, they had signal sensing from the start of production.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 pm

mojo wrote:
callen24 wrote:my understanding is the link power is a smartie without psxr port

No - it's a development of the XPA. Lower output than the Smartpower, no Mono mode and as you say, no PSX-R connection. Commonly used for rear/surround channels on AV systems, they had signal sensing from the start of production.

but much better than the q power?
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

mojo

Postby mojo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:56 pm

I hate to say it - and Cyrus would not contemplate using the phrase - but all three are pretty much the same - a 50Wpc power amp with music-sensing. As far as I'm aware the XPA, LinkPower and QPower were never sold at the same time, and were an evolution rather than a re-design/replacement.

I've nothing bad to say about them - I currently have two XPAs running the front and rear channels of my "Office" system, and another on the rear channels of an AV system - all three have been running without fault in my possession for at least a decade.

A few years back you could buy XPAs very cheap indeed - I recall buying one, mint and fully working, for £50. Only issue (easily solved) is that the early ones had 3mm banana sockets (but then so did some Powers).